36 of the Funniest Closed Caption Fails
When it comes to closed captions, also known as subtitles, accuracy is critical. If captions misrepresent the conversation taking place on screen, audience members who depend on those captions might miss out on important plot twists and dialogue. To avoid these kinds of closed caption fails, Rev guarantees 99% accuracy.
You can probably think of a time when both the sound and captions were on, only for funny captions to steal the show. Be it the timing, the descriptions, or the actual mistakes in the captions, these snafus can lead to lots of laughs. And we can all stand to laugh a little bit more.
1. Aloof and intellectua…l all at the same time.
2. Ron Swanson knows a good joke when he hears one.
3. If we had to sum up Canada in one image, we probably would have chosen differently.
4. “Yo, Mr. White! I don’t like how intense this scene has become!”
5. People (and ponies) continue to use this classic insult to this day.
6. Wait a minute, does this mean Santa only rents his reindeer for Christmas Eve? What about the other 364 days of the year?
7. Kids have it so rough. Always being told to wait until they’re older to do cool things.
8. This is why cooking is difficult for so many people.
9. Now that’s funny.
10. Oh no, not that!
11. Wait for it…
12. Nearly as effective as Rosetta Stone!
13. Gordon Ramsay is so skilled at swearing that he’s capable of doing it via censored mouth blur and closed captioning.
14. Can you hear it?
15. Sobs + tears…carry the two, equals…nope, we’re just as confused as you are.
16. Not a scene from “Edward Scissorhands”.
17. Is there anything more rock and roll?
18. Variety is the spice of life, after all.
19. Coming soon: “James and the Giant Peach”, the sequel.
20. Rest assured, Portlandians were furious about this development.
21. Sometimes there are no words for what you’re trying to express.
22. When you’ve got pizza on the brain, it’s all you can think about.
23. How cute would it be if those business ants had little suits and ties?
24. His singing voice is terrible, though.
25. Someone is brushing very aggressively.
26. And here we were thinking Pokemon only said their own names.
27. Is that so?
28. Thrash metal fans would argue there is no other kind.
29. To be fair, the unknown is pretty scary.
30. We all know someone who laughs like this.
31. Onomatopoeia at its finest!
32. It’s the most important meal of the day, after all.
33. Could you tell us more about the origin of this name?
34. These are going to require my full attention.
35. Plums – the most versatile fruits out there.
36. Dogs do make some pretty strange sounds.
Have a funny caption fail that we should add to our list? Tell us in the comments.