How to Add Captions & Subtitles to Video on an iPhone
Videos are all the rage right now. Not only are they a great way for brands to showcase their latest and greatest products, but short videos tools to help amateur videographers fine tune their craft. We’ve even seen a video clip as another way to communicate with family and friends over social media.
With the recent launch of the new iPhone, these smartphones are the perfect device to create videos. Apple has even gone so far to develop apps specifically for video editing.
Enter in iMovie. This fun and powerful app is one of the best editing tools one can use. Plus, iMovie allows users to easily add subtitles to iPhone video. In this post, we’ll explain the importance of subtitles and show you how to add captions to iMovie on an iPhone.
How to Add Subtitles and Captions to Video on iPhone Yourself
Luckily, with iPhones it’s super easy to add subtitles. To start, you’ll need to download the iMovie app. A quick search on the Apple App Store for iMovie will allow you to install the latest iMovie app for free. The storage space for this app is 700MB so it’s important to make sure you have enough storage space on your phone before downloading.
Once iMovie is installed, it’s time to start playing around and using this fun tool so you can add subtitles to your iPhone video. While there are a variety of advanced editing tools you can learn and do through iMovie to add to your video, let’s focus on one of the most important aspects: text.
Whether you create a movie or trailer (the two template types available in the app), it’s pretty straightforward to edit your clips to add text in the iMovie app. Here are the steps:
- Tap on the clip you want to edit in the timeline. How do you know you’re in editing mode? A yellow outline will appear around the entire frame of the clip.
- From there, tap on the T icon. Once you do that, you’ll see a variety of different styles appear. Each will have a different font size and animation associated with it.
- Tap on each to preview what the text looks like so you can select the right style for your video.
- Once you’ve selected the right style, simply type out the text for that particular clip.
- Select where your captions will be displayed: across the middle of the screen or in a lower corner.
- Play the video to ensure your subtitles are accurate.
- If you notice a misspelling or wrong word, it’s easy to edit it. You’ll have to go back in edit mode, select the clip, and tap on the T icon.
- When you’re satisfied with your subtitles and creative efforts, tap done. From there, you can share it (the share button is a square with an arrow pointing out of it) on your social media channels or send it to your family and friends.
Using a Captioning Service to Add Captions and Subtitles to Videos on iPhone
Besides DIY with the iMovie app, you can use an on-demand transcription company and let the professionals (like Rev) help you.
When adding closed captions SDH to your videos, Rev.com has two different services you can take advantage of: caption and foreign subtitle. Both will not only expand the audience of your video, but they also boost search rankings, discoverability, and viewer engagement.
To Add Captions On an iPhone Using Rev, Follow These Steps
2. Upload your video file, paste a URL, or connect your YouTube account and select your video
3. Click “Delivered File Formats” and choose your preferred captions file. See the table below for the preferred formats of several popular video platforms.
What captions added directly to your video?
Prefer not to deal with caption files? Rev now offers burned-in captions (open captions). Just check the “burned-in captions” box at checkout and you’ll receive a video with permanent, hard-coded captions added straight to your video. Also available for foreign language subtitles!
4. Click “Checkout” and you’re done! Our professional captioners will get to work and you’ll have your caption file emailed to you within 12-24 hours
Why is Adding Text to Video so Important?
If the video you produce isn’t accessible, it could be obsolete to viewers who are hearing-impaired or watching with the sound turned off. Add subtitles to your iPhone video, and it will automatically be relevant to a much wider audience.
Subtitles are the text that run along the bottom of the screen during a movie or tv scene that depict the spoken dialogue, significant noises, and music. While they first became popular from translating foreign films, subtitles are showing up more in social media videos. Why? 85% of Facebook videos are viewed with the sound off. Without subtitles, those viewers are missing the best part of your content. Plus, videos with subtitles often see a 14% increase in viewer engagement – who wouldn’t want that?!
Subtitles are an easy and highly effective way to make your video content more accessible to a wider audience. First, multilingual subtitle…
Foreign language films are very popular, in part, because they are accessible to more people when they use English subtitles. Unfortunately, it…
What is Flowplayer? Flowplayer has positioned itself as, perhaps, the most powerful platform of live broadcasting. Already many top industry professionals have…