We produce a text-based caption file. We transcribe the audio of your video and time it. You can download examples below, under the section about what file formats we can provide.
The caption file is a separate sidecar file from your video. What you do next depends on how you intend to publish your video:
- If you are publishing your video online (e.g. through Youtube or Kaltura) or submitting to a VoD service (e.g. iTunes or Hulu), then you can simply submit the caption files as-is.
- If you want to add the captions as a caption track in your video, you’ll need to take our caption file and encode it into the video. This is most common for DVD, Broadcast, or other distribution. We recommend using Adobe Premiere Pro CC.
We'll email them to you as soon as they're ready.
We can accept all common digital video formats, such as MOV, AVI, MP4, VOB, and Ogg.
Most customers use our online order form. The order form supports a few options:
- Upload a video file directly from your computer. Each file must be less than 5 GB in size.
- Paste in a link to an online video, such as Youtube or Vimeo.
- Connect to videos already stored in an FTP server, Dropbox, Box, or Google Drive. In the order form, click Upload File then select the cloud service on the left.
We also offer a number of alternative ways to order, depending on your needs:
- Zapier. Zapier is a robust workflow automation service. Zapier can integrate Rev with applications such as a Google Sheets spreadsheet and place orders on your behalf.
- Our API. This is the most flexible solution, if you can get a software programmer's time to build an integration with your company's workflow. Fully automate your workflow of sending us videos and receiving back finished caption files.
Email us for more info about these.
No! In fact, we prefer lower-resolution proxies of your video for our work and the smaller files will make it much faster and easier for you to get them to us. We recommend reducing the video resolution to 320 × 240 and using the MP4 format with H.264 encoding. A 30 minute video should be less than 150 MB.
The online order form will charge your credit / debit card, or your PayPal account at the time of ordering. You can securely save your credit card info to your account for future orders.
For customers with large, recurring needs, we offer monthly billing.
- We guarantee at least 99% accuracy for files that are clearly audible.
- Our captions are both FCC and ADA compliant.
- See our full list of guarantees »
Yes. Providing a transcript is helpful - simply upload it into our order form, under the Order Details section. It does not change the price of our service, because we still spend significant effort to give you quality captions.
Video files under 30 minutes long are typically delivered within 24 hours, often much faster. For longer recordings or recordings with poor audio quality, it may take an extra day or two.
The turnaround estimate is based on individual video length, not total order size. Large orders with short videos will still be done quickly. For example, an order with 10 20-minute videos will only take us 24 hours total.
Generally, you can assume individual files between 1-3 hours will be returned within 4 days and files over 3 hours will take up to 6 days.
Want a turnaround estimate? Contact us.
Yes, our captions are fully compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) 1990 ruling regarding captioning.
Yes, we strive to have our caption files meet the requirements of all major online media platforms and distributors. We always recommend you double-check the content quality and caption technical requirements before you submit to a third party platform.
We serve many clients with sensitive content, from pre-release films to video reviews of products not yet announced to the public. Our clients care about content confidentiality and so do we. Our reputation and our business depend on us protecting the privacy of our clients' content.
Your content is yours - we will never sell your content or distribute it outside of Rev. Our workforce is carefully curated and every worker signs a strict NDA and confidentiality agreement. Our technology platform uses bank-level encryption, combined with best practice operations, to keep your content secure.
No. We keep things simple and have only one low price for everyone, $1.00 per minute. To calculate price, we round each video up to the nearest minute.
Closed captions are intended for deaf or hard-of-hearing viewers. They communicate the video's spoken content and "atmospherics", which are sound effects that are part of the story.
Subtitles are intended for viewers who can hear the audio, but can't understand the language spoken. They usually translate the video's spoken and written language into the viewer's language.
Both captions and subtitles use the same file formats, such as .srt and .scc. Read more about file formats.
At this time, videos must be in spoken English.
If you have videos in other languages, email us.
Our core service creates English caption files.
NEW: We have a beta offering that translates your video subtitles into multiple other languages. For more info, please email us with your project size and desired target languages.